Planning an event can be daunting, particularly if you’ve only ever attended them! Here are Rain Marketing’s Do’s and Don’ts of event planning, and after this if it still seems like too much get in touch with us to see how we can help you.
- Define your objectives and make sure an event is the right tool to achieve them.
- Establish how you’re going to evaluate the success of your event and what follow up you’ll do…..then make sure you do it!
- Set a clear realistic budget that you use to track your expenditure throughout the planning process
- Think about your guests and their experience and put that at the forefront of your event.
- Get help if you need it – it’s ok not to be a specialist in all areas but guests will notice if you’re cutting costs by not calling in the professionals.
- Schedule your event at the same time as a major sporting event or on the eve of a bank holiday. Check the calendar for potential clashes!
- Do everything yourself, on the day make sure you have a team of others who have been briefed and given roles to help ensure everything runs smoothly on the day.
- Be surprised when something goes wrong! The phrase hope for the best, plan for the worst sums up our approach to event planning as something goes wrong or doesn’t turn out quite how you expect it to.
- Underestimate the importance of food and drink at an event – this is an area guests remember and an ill-catered event will be remembered and spoken about…and not for the reasons you want it to be.
- Forget to enjoy yourself, if your guests see you smiling then they’ll smile back!